Toni is a good-spirited and occasionally bold young woman, who attends California University and is befriended by Dylan McKay. She is good-natured, bright and kind to everyone around her and eventually Dylan falls in love with her.
In secret, Dylan was planning action against Toni's father Anthony. Years earlier, Anthony had ordered an assassination attempt on Dylan's own father Jack McKay, which initially appeared successful. In time, Dylan developed genuine romantic feelings for Toni, which were reciprocated. Later, Toni learned of Anthony's involvement in Jack's supposed death, which strained her relationship with her father. Anthony would eventually confront the couple on a street, exiting a limousine driven by Bruno and telling Toni to drive off with him. Toni, however, quietly stood beside Dylan, prompting a peaceful resolution to the matter as Anthony drove away. Possessing a sweet, strong, and humorous personality, Toni met several of Dylan's friends, and blended in well with the group. Like Dylan, she had grown up a lonely soul despite having monetary wealth, with her closest friend seeming to be her limousine driver, Bruno. She and Dylan quickly fell in love.
Eventually, Dylan and Toni were married, with plans to leave Beverly Hills. Shortly before they could depart, however, Anthony hired an assassin to kill Dylan. Due to a slew of rainy weather, the assassin, unable to see through the car he was aiming at, inadvertently shot Toni instead. In a private area at Toni's funeral, Anthony handed over a gun and told Dylan to shoot him. Dylan ultimately refused, resisting the temptation, and walked away after saying that the killing was over. Years later, Dylan learned that Anthony had committed suicide while grieving over Toni. In addition, he was briefly reunited with his father Jack. Toni was buried amidst a recital of the 23rd Psalm. The song "Nobody Knows Me," by Lyle Lovett, was dedicated to her relationship with Dylan throughout her final episode.
BEHIND THE SCENES
- Gayheart was offered the role of Toni Marchette, and accepted through a conversation with Luke Perry, whom their shared agent had asked Gayheart to phone regarding the role
- Gayheart asked her on-screen father, Stanley Kamel (Anthony Marchette), to give her constructive criticism during her time on the show, which she really appreciated
- Jessica Klein wanted Keri Russell for Toni Marchette, but Aaron Spelling said no as he wanted Russell to star on Malibu Shores. The reason Spelling gave Klein, however, was that he didn't want a woman with curly hair for the part
- Must Be A Guy Thing
- Everything's Coming Up Roses
- Lover's Leap
- Halloween VI
- Earthquake Weather
- One Wedding And A Funeral
Notes and references
- Beverly Hills 90210 Show Episode 29 'One Wedding And A Funeral' (September 2020)
- Beverly Hills 90210 Show Episode 12 'Casting' (July 2020)