Brandon and an East L.A. exchange student overcome initial hostilities, while the Walshes remain hostile to an unwelcome visitor surprisingly common in Beverly Hills.
The Walshes agree to let Karla Montez, their maid's extremely intelligent niece, use their address to enroll at West Beverly High. Brandon falls hard for her and doesn't understand why everyone seems opposed to their relationship. Karla finally reveals that she witnessed a drive-by shooting that claimed the life of a four-year-old; she had moved in with Anna while waiting to testify, with protection from the D.A. Jim and Cindy organize a soiree for his new client, a sportswear designer. Meanwhile, David tries to convince MC Hammer to perform at the school dance. Meanwhile, Jim arranges a party for one of his clients, Chick Schneider, and Brandon explodes with anger when he finds Karla waitressing and being used as cheap labor.
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Shannen Doherty as Brenda Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Gabrielle Carteris as Andrea Zuckerman
- Luke Perry as Dylan McKay
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Douglas Emerson as Scott Scanlon
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Carol Potter as Cindy Walsh
- and James Eckhouse as Jim Walsh
- SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY
- Debbie Gibson
- Guest starring
- Karla Montana as Karla Montez
- Luisa Leschin as Anna Rodriguez
- Joanne Astrow as Becky Wilerson
- Mark Lonow as Chick Schneider
- and John Vargas as Richard Rodriques
- The episode was originally a story of the teens going to a dance and complications around that, culminating in them attending a dance. Director Daniel Attias said it would make a subpar, if passable episode and encouraged the writers to do better. As a result, Rosin threw out the script and created this story instead.
- The song that was first brought up for the dance sequence was "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" by C+C Music Factory. At first, Rosin wanted a song with a more 'romantic' zest for when Brandon and Karla go to the rec center, but in the edit with writer Jordan Budde, they both agreed that it should've been C+C instead.
- let's go deeper | MC HAMMER
- David tries to call MC Hammer over the school radio
- i like you | CULTURE BEAT
- Karla takes Brandon dancing at the community rec center
- deep down | DEBBIE GIBSON
- David thinks he's calling MC Hammer and actually reaches Ms. Gibson