- I've got to get control of my own destiny!
- —Brenda, to her mom, about getting a car
Recruits from outside the school district may sink Brandon's shot at making the basketball team. Meanwhile, Brenda takes her third — or fourth — shot at driver's training.
Jim encourages Brandon to try out for the basketball team. Steve, unaware that he is terrible, is bitter about being cut from the team. He tells Brandon that several of the players are ringers brought in from out of district to help the team win a championship. Andrea, whom Brandon had asked to investigate, discovers that the player competing against Brandon for the last spot on the roster is from another district. Brandon is ashamed of himself when he learns that the player came to West Beverly to get a good education; his father is a city employee, making him eligible for admission. Brenda enrols in driver's education, despite the fact that she failed three times in Minneapolis. Kelly is stranded after a concert and begs for a ride, so Brenda takes Brandon's car without permission. She runs out of gas and manages to lose the car.
- Brenda daydreams of being a prodigy speedway racer
- Kelly's going out with a guy named Kenny she's been out with before and doesn't really like and asks Brenda to come on a double date to a Janet Jackson concert
- Apparently Steve is Irish
- The story was created as the show was heavily criticised for having an all-white cast
- Rosin got notes from the network to have Brandon be that aggressive and blind to his privilege, which wasn't how Brandon originally would've approached his 'investigation' in Rosin's script.
- ooops up | SNAP!
- jim and brandon play in the driveway/morning at west beverly
- the way you do the things you do | THE TEMPTATIONS
- brandon runs into james at the peach pit
- turn it on salvador | TOY MATINEE
- Brenda and Kelly study Spanish in Brenda's room after dinner
- that's just the way it is baby | THE REMBRANDTS
- kelly calls asking brenda for a lift
Notes and references
- Beverly Hills 90210 Show Episode 42 'The First Six' (December 2020)