- ❝ Brandon, your dad is a lot of things. Cool is not one of them ❞
Cindy's mothering instinct upsets Jim and Brenda after she brings injured surfer Dylan to recuperate at the Walshes'. Meanwhile, Kelly's instincts are spiked by a handsome volleyball player.
Dylan's father is taken into custody, and all his assets are frozen. Dylan refuses to spend the summer in Hawaii with his flaky mother. He is injured in a surfing accident, and Cindy agrees to take care of him during his recovery. Jim and Brenda are unhappy with this arrangement. Jim catches Brenda and Dylan kissing, and orders Dylan to leave in two days. He sneaks out in the middle of the night and sleeps in a cabana at the beach club. Brandon finds him and convinces him to return to the Walsh house, where Jim helps him deal with his feelings about his father. Kelly gets a date with an attractive classmate, but is stung when he won't make a move on her. He admits that he is confused about his sexuality. Donna and David must perform a scene from Romeo and Juliet for their acting class.
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Shannen Doherty as Brenda Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Gabrielle Carteris as Andrea Zuckerman
- Luke Perry as Dylan McKay
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Carol Potter as Cindy Walsh
- and James Eckhouse as Jim Walsh
Special Guest Star
- ❝ To be a bitch or not to be a bitch, that is the question ❞
- ❝ You know the hardest thing I've ever had to do was trying to stay away from you ❞
- —Brenda to Dylan
- Brenda and Dylan hook up, but do not reconcile.
- Kyle is the wide receiver for the West Beverly Football Team
- Dylan hasn't seen his mom since October 1988 (possibly around his 14th birthday)
- my body says yes | TITIYO
- brandon works at the beach club and runs into dylan
- i don't get much sleep anymore | CHRIS LUKE
- Brenda & Dylan have trouble sleeping
- you are the everything | R.E.M.
- dylan remembers his childhood and cries