|This episode contains sensitive information regarding|
- 〉You know, the tragedy of this country, is that creeps like you two end up running it〈
- —Dylan to bullies
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The Walshes come to see that style is no substitute for substance as Brandon hits the beach with one new friend who may have both, and another who fears she has neither, while Brenda is left high and dry there by style-conscious Kelly.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Brandon meets Dylan McKay, a mysterious loner who stops some jocks from harassing Scott in tech class. Dylan takes Brandon surfing and introduces him to his friends, including a troubled young woman named Sarah. Brandon becomes disturbed by the behavior of Dylan's friends, who treat Sarah like a possession. Brandon grows tired of Dylan's bad boy act after he raids a hotel room. Dylan reveals that he lives in the hotel, and only pretended to break in to preserve his reputation.
Sarah nearly drowns while surfing drunk, but Brandon and Brenda save her life. Sarah seeks help for her drinking problem, and thanks Brandon for convincing her to believe in herself. Brenda is miffed at Kelly after she leaves Brandon and her stranded at the beach. Steve's actress mother encourages him to be nice to David because she mistakenly believes that David's father is a producer.
Starring[edit | edit source]
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Shannen Doherty as Brenda Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Gabrielle Carteris as Andrea Zuckerman
- Luke Perry as Dylan McKay
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Douglas Emerson as Scott Scanlon
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Carol Potter as Cindy Walsh
- Kelli Brook as Samantha Sanders (voice)
- Jonathan Pekar as Eric
- Steve Messina as Duane
- Raoul N. Rizik as Tony
- Alex Désert as Robinson
- Helena Apothaker as Dream Girl
- Milt Tarver as Doctor
- Troy Shire as Jock #1
- Nicolas Reid as Jock #2
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- 〉Kelly – C'mon before he asks for alimony
- Steve – Yeah, well, after a year with you, I deserve it!〈
- 〉 Brandon – Hey, my name is, uh, Brandon Walsh
- Dylan – Brandon Walsh? Scots or Irish?
- Brandon – Both actually, by way of Minnesota〈
- 〉I just don't believe in winning through intimidation. Unless of course, I'm doing the intimidating〈
- —Dylan, to Brandon
- 〉Brandon – What's this?
- Dylan – Ah, a little leisure reading
- Brandon – Byron: The Collected Works
- Dylan – Mad, bad and dangerous to know. That was him and that's me〈
- 〉If this is a day in the life of your basic Beverly Hills family, we're moving back to Minnesota〈
- —Cindy to the twins
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to the addresses on the envelope in the intro, the Walshes move from:
- 1408 Walnut Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55348
- 933 Hillcrest Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90210
- It was 105 degrees on the day the scene with the mailman was filmed, and the producers were having a hard time keeping the "snow" - which in reality was just a soap suds mixture - from evaporating in the heat.
Music[edit | edit source]
- surf city | JAN & DEAN
- brandon dreams of surfing
- word to the mutha! | BELL BIV DEVOE
- friday; the school DJ announces the weekend will be sunny
- monday, monday | THE MAMAS AND THE PAPAS
- DJ Mike MC dedicates a song to brenda and brandon
Media[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- This episode introduces the character Dylan McKay.