Spelling is the as the oldest of two children. Her mother, Candy Spelling, is best known for her work as an author and Spelling's father, Aaron Spelling, was a Hollywood director known for producing the TV hits Charlie's Angels, Dynasty and Fantasy Island. As a result of her father's success, Tori was raised in the lap of luxury; her family lived in the largest single-family home in the state of California, a mansion featuring more than 100 rooms including a gift-wrapping room, doll museum and bowling alley. When she turned 6 her father hired an acting coach to give the young girl lessons twice a week. By 1989, the 16-year-old Spelling was attending Beverly Hills High School in Beverly Hills, California and transferred to the Westlake School for Girls from which she graduated in 1990.
Career EditSpelling's early immersion in the world of Hollywood gave her the acting bug at a young age. She made her first television appearances around that age, landing a part on her father's detective drama, Vega$, as well as his popular shows T.J. Hooker, starring Heather Locklear, and The Love Boat with Teri Hatcher. Spelling auditioned for her father's new teen drama, Beverly Hills, 90210, under the alias Tori Mitchell. Despite the new moniker, Tori was recognized during her audition for the role of Kelly Taylor. Spelling's connections, however, didn't get her the part; actress Jennie Garth landed the coveted role and Spelling was cast as Donna Martin.
The show skyrocketed in popularity and thrust the cast into the spotlight. In addition to Spelling, actors Gabrielle Carteris, Shannen Doherty, Jennie Garth, Brian Austin Green, Luke Perry, Jason Priestley and Ian Ziering all became teen idols. Spelling stayed on the show for its entirety, appearing from 1990 until the show's tenth season in 2000. During her time on the show, Spelling received attention from the press for remaining a stalwart virgin until the show's seventh season. While other cast members made numerous promiscuous trysts, Spelling held out for love, due to Aaron Spelling's insistence. By 1997, Spelling had also appeared in several made-for-TV movies, as well as several big screen hits, including the cult hit The House of Yes (1997) starring Parker Posey and the blockbuster thriller, Scream 2 (1997).
By the end of the Beverly Hills, 90210, Tori was ready to move on to bigger projects. In 2002, she made her stage debut in Maybe Baby, It's You at the Coronet Theater in L.A. The show earned Spelling critical acclaim. In 2006 Spelling produced her own show, the VH1 sitcom So NoTORIous, in which she starred as a fictional version of herself. After her father's death, she and her husband used her inheritance to set up a bed and breakfast in Fallbrook, California and began filming the experience for their reality show, Tori & Dean: Inn Love. By June 2008, Spelling and McDermott's show was in its third season under the new name Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood. In the new season, Spelling and McDermott no longer run the inn, instead returning to Los Angeles to balance buying a new home, having a second child, and promoting Spelling's book tour for the autobiography sTori Telling. In addition to her successful series, Spelling made a cameo as Donna Martin on the remake of the Beverly Hills television show, entitled 90210. Aside from her acting career, Spelling also designs and markets her own line of fashion jewelry on HSN. She also continues to write. Her second book, Mommywood, was released on April 14, 2009.
- 90210 (2009)
- Smallville (2007-2009)
- Rick & Steve The Happiest Gay Couple in All The World (2009)
- Family Guy (2006)
- So noTORIous (2006)
- Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990-2000)
- Saved by the Bell (1990-1991)
- Tori's father Aaron Spelling was the producer of the Beverly Hills, 90210 continuity.
- She made appearances on the NBC sitcom Saved by the Bell, in which Tiffani Thiessen portrayed the role of Kelly Kapowski.
- Has five children with husband Dean McDermott; two daughters: Stella Doreen (born on June 9, 2008) & Hattie Margaret (born on October 10, 2011) and three sons: Liam Aaron (born on March 13, 2007), Finn Davey (born on August 30, 2012) and Beau Dean (born on March 2, 2017).
- Is the goddaughter of Barbara Stanwyck and Dean Martin.
- Her first name means "bird" in Japanese.
- Graduated from Harvard-Westlake School in Los Angeles, California.
- Her parents were both from Jewish families (from Poland & Russia on her father's side, and from Hungary, Germany & Poland on her mother's side).
- Had a dog named Mimi La Rue; she died on June 17, 2008 of natural causes at the age of 11.
- Ranked #23 in VH1 100 Greatest Teen Stars (2006).