Dating others no longer looks good to Brenda when Dylan dates the new girl in school, whose datebook also includes Brandon. Meanwhile, Scott and David find what a difference a summer makes.
On the first day of school, Dylan makes a date with Emily Valentine, a new student who plays guitar and rides a motorcycle. She also makes a date with Brandon, and all of the guys seem quite taken with her. Emily offers to help Brenda, Kelly and Donna put together an act for the hello assembly. Dylan and Emily park at a spot overlooking the bluff and share a kiss. Brandon takes her to the same place the next night, and they also kiss. Brenda becomes extremely jealous and possessive after learning of Emily's involvement with Dylan. She accuses her of being a tramp, and treats her terribly at a barbecue at the Walsh house. Brenda apologizes to Emily and pleads with her to stay in the act, so that they have someone with talent. Brenda realizes that she still loves Dylan, and they get back together. Scott returns from his summer vacation in Oklahoma sporting a cowboy hat, with sudden interests in country music, fireworks and guns. David freaks out and decides to distance himself from Scott, and warns his friend to "cool it with the guns."
- Jason Priestley as Brandon Walsh
- Shannen Doherty as Brenda Walsh
- Jennie Garth as Kelly Taylor
- Ian Ziering as Steve Sanders
- Gabrielle Carteris as Andrea Zuckerman
- Luke Perry as Dylan McKay
- Brian Austin Green as David Silver
- Tori Spelling as Donna Martin
- Carol Potter as Cindy Walsh
- and James Eckhouse as Jim Walsh
- Steve – You know Kel, last year at this time we were barely on speaking terms
- Kelly – Ah, the good old days
- Brenda – I don't know if I can handle this, I almost called you at the Rap Line last night
- Andrea – Well you know you always can
- Emily – Hey Corvette
- Steve – How is my funny Valentine?
- Kelly – You know there's a name for a girl like that...
- Donna, Kelly, Brenda – Slut
- ―Group shaming Emily
- Scott – Not everyone has your taste David
- David – The whole school does — I'm a tastemaker!
- Donna – I can't believe she came!
- Kelly – Why not, all her boyfriends are here
- Brenda – What we've got is much more than just physical
- Dylan – Bren, I'm not here because of that. I never was. I'm here because I love you
- Dylan and Brandon both ask out Emily and find out after the fact
- Donna first suggests doing a spoof of Robert Palmer's "Addicted To Love" – Emily suggests 'addicted to clothes'
- Brenda doesn't tell Emily that she used to date Dylan and vows not to get jealous, but assumes that Emily was the one who made a move on Dylan
- Brenda talks to Andrea and Andrea's jealous when she finds out Emily is going out with Brandon too
- Emily has two older sisters
- Brandon asks Dylan if he slept with Emily and accepts Dylan taking a free shot, which Dylan doesn't
- Brenda and Dylan get back together
- Foreshadowing of Scott's death
- Neither Elise, nor Doherty, Garth and Spelling sing "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do". A session musician was hired and sang the song, including the backup.
- Originally, it was in the script that Emily would also make out with Steve! Christine Elise took it to the director and he agreed it should be cut
- addicted to love | ROBERT PALMER
- everyone gets ready for school montage
- teenage mutant kung fu chickens | RAY STEVENS
- the girls judge Emily from afar
- leader of the pack | SHANGRI-LAS
- David dedicates a song to Emily
- wicked game | CHRIS ISAAK
- Brandon and Emily's date/at the end, when Brenda and Dylan get back together
- Flashback: The ‘Beverly Hills 90210’ Gang Mashes Up Neil Sedaka With Robert Palmer (ROLLING STONE • AUGUST 2019)
Notes and references
- First appearance of Emily Valentine
- The Blaze with Lizzie & Kat! Episode 041 Christine Elise McCarthy - U4EA (September 2015)